The Scoiattoli refuge is located in front of the 5 Torri. You can get there hiking on the trail number 440 starting from the state road between Cortina and the Falzarego pass just below Pian dei Menìs.
This refuge was built in 1969 by the mountain guide Lorenzo Lorenzi and recently renovated. Today it is run with passion and competence by the children, Guido and Claudia, together with the whole family.
The Scoiattoli refuge can be easily reached on foot or by the 5 Torri chairlift.
Located directly on the ski slopes and in the middle of a dense network of hiking trails, it is situated next to the 5 Torri Open-air Museum of WW1, where you can walk through the trenches and restored emplacements.
In winter it is one of the unmissable stops for those who want to experience the Great War Ski Tour and the Super8 Ski Tour. Furthermore, it is situated at the centre of numerous snowshoe itineraries.
If the panoramic terrace - built in a modern style and entirely sheltered by high windows – impresses for the breathtaking view of the majestic mountains of Cortina d'Ampezzo, the antique wooden interiors in the traditional Ampezzo style give a feeling of cosy warmth.
A popular destination for tourists from all over the world and a base for climbers who put themselves to the test on the walls of the 5 Torri nearby, which are undoubtedly the most important and well-known crag in the area. And let us not forget to mention the via ferratas close by, such as the very popular Averau and Ra Gusela.
The cuisine offers traditional and local dishes and is highly appreciated.
Try the "Violets with flavours from the wood", home-made pasta flavoured with blueberries.
The delicious dishes can be accompanied with excellent Italian and European wines, also by the glass.
The home-made desserts, many of which are made with fresh cottage cheese, are a highlight of the refuge’s cuisine.
Moreover, taste the chocolate salami with a vanilla cream and the freshly prepared Squirrel Meringue.
The Lorenzi family organizes various events such as festivals and live music concerts as well as "alternative" evenings.
Do not miss the continuously wood-fired *Open Air Bathtub, from where you can admire the surrounding landscape immersed in hot water.
Another proposal that combines sport, gastronomy and the high altitude starry sky are the Moonlight Dinners on Fridays and Saturdays which include: ascent to the refuge with the floodlit chairlift, a typical dinner and descent on skis, on foot, with a snowmobile or a small snowcat.
On the occasion of dinners, lunch events and weddings, the 5 Torri chairlift takes the guests up to the refuge; in summer transport is also provided by a jeep service.
Summer season opening: from mid-June to the end of September
Winter season opening: from mid-November to April
Rooms and prices
The Scoiattoli refuge has 42 beds arranged in rooms with 2 to 10 bunk beds with linen and 3 bathrooms with shower on each floor.
• half board accommodation
• bed (with sheets in the bedrooms)
• dinner of your choice (4-5 first courses, 4-5 second courses including vegetarian dishes, side dishes and dessert)
• rich and abundant international breakfast buffet
• shower with hot water
• 1 shower towel
• 90,00 € per person in rooms for private use with 2 to 5 bunk beds
• 85,00 € per person in the 2 bedrooms with 8 and 10 bunk beds; in this case you may have to share the room with other guests
• 10.00 € discount for children up to 12 years
• 15.00 € for children up to 3 years with B&B treatment
• CHECK IN TIME BEFORE 8.30 p.m.
• CHECK OUT TIME 10.00 a.m.
• CHECK IN TIME BEFORE 4.30 p.m.
• CHECK OUT TIME 10.00 a.m.
* Useful information concerning the "Bathtub"
• The bathtub of the Scoiattoli refuge is an additional and exclusive service for those who book their stay at the Scoiattoli refuge with a specific reservation made well in advance. ATTENTION: the booking of the rooms does not include the use of the bathtub: guests have to specify that they want to take advantage of this service. That’s because the tub can be used only once a day as its preparation requires a long time.
• The tub can comfortably accommodate 6 people.
• Cost: 200 €. The price includes a bottle of champagne, served with croutons. On request, it is possible to order a bottle of prosecco or soft drinks instead of champagne, but the price remains the same.
• Where and when: 5 Torri, at the Scoiattoli refuge throughout the winter season.
• Reservations: http://www.rifugioscoiattoli.it/booking/eng/
phone +39 0436 867939 - +39 333 8146960, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org