Mountain hut Rifugio Scoiattoli m. 2255.
Locality: 5 Torri
The Scoiattoli Refuge is located in front of the 5 Torri, at the northern end of the plateau formed by the slopes of Mt. Averau and Mt. Nuvolau; it overlooks the valley carved by the stream Ru de Fauzargo which flows from the Falzarego pass downstream to Cortina d'Ampezzo.
13 km from Cortina d'Ampezzo, on the road to the Falzarego pass and the Badia Valley, this refuge is one of the stages of the High Route of the Dolomites “Alta Via n. 1”.
HOW TO GET TO THE SCOIATTOLI REFUGE
- on the trail no. 440 from the state road between the Falzarego pass and Cortina d'Ampezzo just below Pian dei Menìs, hiking time 1 hour 30 minutes;
- from the Falzarego pass on path no. 441, hiking time 2 hours;
- from the Cinque Torri refuge (2137 m), with a short stretch of dirt road (little more than 120 metres of difference in altitude, signpost no. 439), hiking time 20 minutes;
- from the Giau pass on path no. 443, hiking time 2 hours.
The Scoiattoli refuge is connected by a path to the Averau refuge (located on the saddle Forcella Nuvolau). From there you can hike up to the Nuvolau refuge, situated on the top of the homonymous mountain, via the path no. 439, or climb a ferrata to the top of Mt. Averau.
- from Cortina follow the road signs “Passo Falzarego” (SR 48) for about 13 km, then, on the left, you will see the signs for the 5 Torri chairlift, where you can park in the large, free, unattended area;
- from Cortina follow the road signs for the Falzarego pass; after about 11 km take the small road on the left, which leads next to the Cinque Torri refuge. The road is freely accessible in summer, except in August when it is closed to traffic from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. During this period there is a paying shuttle service. From the Cinque Torri refuge, you reach the Scoiattoli refuge in 20 minutes on foot along the path no. 439.
Various bus connections reach the 5 Torri chairlift from the nearby villages. They are run by different companies depending on the route and the coverage area. These services are particularly efficient during the tourist seasons.
In the winter season, there is a ski bus service - free for ski pass holders - which guarantees skiers the connection between the Cortina d'Ampezzo lift facilities.
The companies which cover the area are:
For further information on bus and train timetables please contact Se. Am. Cortina d’Ampezzo.